Story To College teaches students tools to complete successful college application essays and improve writing outcomes and college readiness. The company has created proprietary training methods and materials that fit the needs of college bound students from diverse backgrounds. The Story To College curriculum was designed by a team of teachers, professional storytellers, college counselors, and admission officers. In 18 months the company helped over 3000 students get into a college of their choice.
Management and Board
Carol Barash, PhD, Founder and CEO
Dr. Barash taught for 10 years at Princeton University, the University of Michigan and Rutgers University. She has developed educational programs in diverse corporate and community settings. She served as a member of the Douglass College admissions committee, and has read thousands of admissions applications. For 25 years, she has interviewed students for Yale and Princeton, and coached high school and college students on the application process and on essay development.
Jeremy Johnson, Board of Directors
Jeremy is a lifelong technology entrepreneur with a passion for leveraging the interwebs to advance and enhance the ways people interact. He left Princeton to build a social network around college admissions, which was acquired by Zinch in 2008. Jeremy co-founded 2tor with John Katzman, founder of the Princeton Review, to explore the frontiers of online higher education. At 2tor, he’s worn multiple hats, including Chief Technology Officer (2008-2009), Chief Marketing Officer (2010-present), and Chief Google/Facebook/Apple Fanboy (pretty much throughout). Jeremy is working closely with the Story To College team to expand and deepen online products and services.
Caroline Moore, MEd, Advisor
Caroline Moore has served as an Associate Director of Admissions at Bryn Mawr College, as a Founding Director of the Bryn Mawr College program for Non-Traditional Students, and as Regional Director of Admissions at Princeton University. Before joining Story to College she was an independent education consultant and college counselor.
Products and Services
- Essay Launch: One-hour course teaches students how to find topics for college application essays and structure their essays to improve admission results.
- Essay Development: One-week intensive course that teaches students tools to complete their Common Application, supplement essays, and interviews.
- Essay Completion: A three-hour workshop that teaches students to complete Common Application and supplemental essays.
- Private coaching to complete and submit all Essays and Supplements and develop applications and financial aid strategy.
Story To College never writes or edits students’ written materials. The programs are designed to teach students how to explore their strengths and challenges with honesty and authenticity and to correct grammar issues that emerge organically in the writing process. We teach our students to use their own experiences and dreams to make a case for who they want to be in college and in life.
- Founded in 2010
- Headquartered in New York, NY
- Courses conducted in partnership with many area schools, including The Beacon School, Brooklyn Technical High School, The Bronx High School of Science, Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts, Millburn High School (NJ), Rutgers Preparatory School, Townsend Harris High School, University of Rochester, Yale University, and THINK Global School.
- Privately held
- 100% of students have been accepted to at least one college of their choice
- 95% of students reported increased confidence and fluency in their high school and college writing